Dingo is a small town located just across the railway line from the Capricorn Highway. The origin of the town's name is shrouded in mystery - some say a railway surveyor saw a dingo on the creek bank and gave the town its name whilst others say that Moses Wafer, an early pioneer, heard dingo's howling at night and named the town after his camp site.
 
A bronze statue of a Dingo is in the town commemorating the town's name. This busy town sits on two major highways that service the beef, mining and coal industries. Up to 1,000 vehicles pass through in one day, and it's not unusual to see 10 triple road trains outside the roadhouse.
 
Apart from Moses Wafer, other early pioneers of the Dingo district include Henry Bauman, Frank Joseph Chardon, Frederick Cook and Jacob Gull.
 
In the year 1917, Mr F.A. Chardon built Dingo's very first dance hall, and in 1930 he also built the first unofficial Post Office for the township of Dingo.
 
The Township of Dingo consists of a School Complex (The Dingo School was first opened way back in 1877), 2 x Saw Mills, a Post Office & General Store, QCWA Building, a Hotel/Motel, Caravan Park, Community Hall, Tennis Courts, Roadhouse, Church, Race Course (Bauman Park), a Pony Club and a Rodeo Club.
 
Dingo has a hot summer Climate, with summer highs averaging approximately 43°celcius, while the summer low is approximately 11°celcius. Dingo has a warm winter climate, with winter highs averaging  approximately 33 °celcius, while the winter low is approximately 0 °celcius.
 
The Township of Dingo has formed what is known as the "Dingo Progress Association" which meets quite regularly to discuss ways to improve the township and address any issues which may arise